Thursday 6 January 2011

Drawing Plastic Ponies.

Over the years I have been looking to draw more in everyday life and found the question I often faced was 'what on earth will I draw today?

It has taken me a long time for me to reach the very obvious opportunity to merge my love of horses and art into one activity, and I can't honestly say that I got there on my own. I have a very good friend who is wise council to me. She has a few years of sound life based know-how (as only age can bring) a great passion for bringing out the best in people and as a few life coaching NLP tricks up her sleeve to throw into the mix. She is a wonderful  - and sometimes challenging - companion.

As I pondered what I should be doing to scratch my creative itch, she asked of me "What did you love to do as a child?"
 
Image by Black Country Museums on Flickr,  licenced under
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic
I didn't say at the time, but I had such a clear picture of me at the age of seven sitting at a big old brass table with my Sindy horse and a sketch pad, drawing it over and over again, trying to catch the lines and shadows of this plastic model of the animal that I loved. I distinctly recall that the legs were a challenge!

It is crazy how easy it is to miss what is under your nose.....despite the clarity of this memory in my head, it still didn't occur to me until a year later that this is what I should be drawing.

I would love to say I had some of my childhood sketches today, but our home valued clean and tidy ahead of clutter (parents of the now, take note), and with an entrepreneurial streak from a young age I sold Sindy  with her Horse, Horsebox, Tack and all in my teenage years.

Anyhow, I found this on Flickr ....what can I say, they don't make them like they used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment