Sunday 30 January 2011

Portrait of an Appaloosa / Cob

I haven't posted any art for a few days, and this blog is serving well to keep me focused on my art.This is one I did a few weeks back of Rocky, a lovely little Appaloosa / Cob cross who is one of the school horses up at Hazelden. He has beautiful colouring and a lovely neck, which if why I wanted to draw him.



Horse Portrait, Rocky, Hazelden
Copyright EquineArtPortraits
   
Rocky, Hazelden
He is a lovely little thing, nice temperament and quite fast, although steady and close enough to the ground not to alarm , and he does listen to you. First time I rode him I though 'wow, push button horse, can I keep him?' He is a great little jumper too.

I quite like the weight of this piece, working in pencil, gives a different effect from mixed media work as you can build up the layers quite softly, which I find works well for horses or animals with a lot of white in them.

Rob, up at the stables thought this was my best until I took Monty up this week, when he said 'He'd look nice on my wall' ....bartering art for horse riding is something I would definitley do!

No comments:

Post a Comment